Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Trying to recap

Well after almost a week of trying to put what I learned into some sort of report, I have given up. There was so much information given that there is no way that I can just give you the reader's digest version. So, what am I to do. I think I will just try to give you highlights and hope for the best. Let's see....

We started out learning our abc's for evangelism. (this comes from Acts 1-2)
A - Attraction to reach people. We must connect with the culture
B - Build bridges. We need to pray to bridge the gap with the culture we are trying to reach.
When you work hard, you get what you can do, when you pray, you get what God can do!
C - Compellingly communicate the Claims of Christ (present the Gospel)

The next speaker talked on Leadership Evangelism. His reference was in Mark 4.
1. You must do the obvious
Ordinary people do ordinary things that no one else will do. Graham and Wesley started out by just doing the obvious.
2. You Determine you measure of sucess.
Keep in mind that we don't want to see more people, but more Jesus.
3. You must decide to be "Good News"
We need to constantly scatter seeds. We as leaders also need to keep sharing our evangelism stories.

Then we had a speaker talk to us about Conneting to Culture. He spoke about the four commissions that Jesus gave us (Jn 20). The are:
1. We are sent
2. We are sent to peoples
3. We are sent to peoples with a message
4. We are sent to poeples with a message empowered by God
We are told by God to go out to all different kinds of people in different places clearly sharing the Gospel, and to quit worrying about things we can't control. He has given us the authority.

All that is just from the opening session. I am sorry I can not write all the details, but I think that you would be bored. So what did I come away with after the first session? That I think we (as tribe leaders) are on the right track. I have really been convicted lately on the need for more prayer and that came out a lot during these two days. Finally, one of the last speakers of this session said this:
"God has called you to be a soldier. This is a battle, not a picnic." I know that it is going to be hard, that I am going to be stretched and that it is not always going to be easy. However, I am called to battle for these young adults in our community.

More to follow. Stay tuned.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Matt, to hear about what's going on with you is a blessing, I hope that you are encouraged along the way too.

Rob Bell gives a beatiful example of how good the 'good news' really can be in his book, "Velvet Elvis."
(Basically says that the gospel IS good news to all... if it changes me, then it changes everyone in my path for the better, cannot possibly do the opposite.)

3:39 PM  
Blogger Wilson Family said...

The Gospel has the power to change us. Both Christians and nonChristians despritely need to hear it again and again. The Gospel reminds the Church that she is deeply loved and totally free. Praise God!!!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm confused... so is it Christians or nonChristians that need sprite?

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home