Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Back from the Hill



Last week was spent on the hill down in Hardin KY. We (18 of us) went for our annual B.A.S.I.C. training. This year was very different for me.

First of all, there were over 80 kids there (I think the most ever) and there were almost twice as many boys as girls (again first time ever). Because of that, the boys were in the new lodge which is farther away from the manna house than the ark is. I did not stay in the lodge with the boys this year (and when I walked through the lodge on wednesday, I was glad about that) because Kim and I actually had our own room (again, first time). With all of that, this year I felt disconnected from the boys. It just seemed that I did not get to know everyone. Also, Bob was a little different this year. He talked more about himself and his history and let the kids decide what the topics were going to be. As a result, we were all over the place instead of covering a topic or book for the week. I also noticed an urgency in him. He really wants to get all of what God wants him to teach out to these young people.

However, what struck me the most was watching two parents work with their kids on the subject of dating. I was honored and humbled to be watching these two dads (of whom I have tremendous respect for) as they take the biblical approach in handling these situations. I came away not really knowing what God was showing me. I don't know if he is trying to teach me how to be a christian dad or to help me be a spiritual "father" to my youth. Either way I paid attention and I will tell you, the bar has been raised.

God is great. It was amazing as always to see how God was working in each of the youths lives and what He did there on the hill. I encourage everyone to take time to talk to the youth individually and see what God has done in their lives. I urge you all to hold them accountable to those things. They are looking for that, they want that and they need it. I leave you with the scripture Bob gave us on the last nite.

"Watch yourselves, that you might not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward." 2 John 8

Keep them in your prayers as Satan will be attacking. We love you all.